Work Wardrobe Update

I’ve been lazy about my work wardrobe and have taken the easy way out by wearing mostly jeans and polo shirts for the last couple of years. Since I work a lot in a clean room environment and have to wear a smock and hat when I’m in there, I can dress as casually as I like. After all, no one knows what’s under the smock. It’s funny, sometimes I’ve worked for months with people in our labs and still don’t recognize them if I run into them outside, without the hat and in their normal clothes.

But then every so often between test phases, we are back to working at our desks and a regular office environment. This last time for me I’ve begun to feel that the jeans should only be for actual work on the test floor. So what better excuse to revamp my wardrobe with some dressier blouses and pants!

I know I should sew everything myself, but realistically with my work schedule, that would take months. So I did the next best thing, I went shopping at Ross and picked up a bunch of blouses. I’m beginning to think that maybe I should have named this blog Mostly Alterations since I don’t know when I’ll have time to sew something from scratch. I am still hopeful that once I work my way through a lot of old stuff clogging up my sewing room I’ll be inspired to start sewing up the new stuff. Anyway, here are my Ross selections and my plans to make them fit better.

This blouse is made from a stretchy polyester and nylon blend. It’s a bit snug which is the main drawback of buying from Ross. Great prices notwithstanding, you’ll be lucky to find multiple sizes in any piece that catches your eye. Most likely what you see is what you get. This size was a medium and my best size would have probably been a large. Still I like the clean lines and unfussy look and which tempted me into buying it. The fact that it has some stretch also influenced me to give it a try.
The only thing I will probably do to this is remove the side sashes that wrap around to tie in the front. If I was a slender young thing I would probably leave them, but as it stands, I don’t need any more details to call attention to my midriff.
This simple blouse with a scooped neck and 3/4 length sleeves caught my eye with it’s pleasing blue colors and lightweight easy care fabric. This one is ready to wear! It’s a rare occasion when I don’t have to do alterations on store bought garments and I’m happy when they really are RTW.
This one is too small too, but I like it! I fell into the “it will fit in 5 lbs.” rationalization again. But it really has deep darts in the back which I will can let out. So hopefully it will be comfortable enough with the fix.
This and the next are my black striped finds. Fortunately they both fit well.
This one, I may shorten just a bit.
This grey T-shirt and next white one are the same brand and style, just different sizes. This is a medium and the white is a large.
As you can see, they grey is tighter, but the sleeve fit okay. This large sized one is probably the best size for me, but the sleeves and the hem are definitely too long. It’ll shorten them eventually.

So the bottom line is that I did score at least four dressier blouses. I’m not counting the T-shirts and the blouse that is too small at the moment. But I can throw out at least four of my old polo shirts in exchange.

Pillows & Stuff

I haven’t been too productive the last few days after work. On Tuesday I did manage to work a little bit in the sewing room. I did the finishing details on the new zipper for my olive capris. These capris have been hanging around my sewing room for years. I bought the zipper long ago and I started installing it a few weeks ago. I also added some material to the waistband since they have always been tight in the waist. I finished everything off finally. I don’t know why I invested so much work on them. They are a little worn out and are not made in the best material or color. I probably should have just thrown them out, but I suppose I just wanted to finish something I started so long ago.

x
(Click to enlarge)

I also cut the fabric for my little throw pillows for the sofa. They are a very easy design, just simple squares to cover the pillow forms like a closed pillow case. I finished all the raw edges with my serger and sewed them together for a first look at the fit. They were kind of big, so I stopped there. Next time I will just take a little more in the seams and finish them off. No zippers or closures to worry about. I will just whipstitch the opening after stuffing the pillow forms inside.

x
(Click to enlarge)

I ordered some new shorter legs for my ottoman about a week ago, but I haven’t received a shipping notification yet. I’m beginning to wonder about that order. I should have know that not being charged shipping was too good to be true.

leg.jpg

Later as I read the email verification of my purchase I noticed that they have an unusual policy when it comes to handling the charges. They charge for the merchandise immediately when ordered and then supposedly come back and charge you for the shipping once they know how much it will be. Hmmmm… I should have paid more attention. Now I just hope that the charges that come through for the shipping are reasonable. It seems like a convoluted way to do things.

This is the place I bought them from online.

x
(Click to enlarge)

Hopefully I’ll hear from them soon.

On a health note, I’ve been eating wisely this week and tonight I did my 45 minutes on the treadmill. I’m proud of myself because it was very warm in the house this evening. We haven’t been turning on the air conditioner lately, just opening the windows when we get home from work and letting the breezes cool everything off slowly. It does take a while to cool off the house though and the only way I managed the treadmill walking was to set up a fan so it was blowing on me the whole time. I really enjoyed the cool shower afterwards.